Wednesday 23 October 2013

OF MOUSE AND ME

I spent several hours on Monday afternoon in Guy's Hospital waiting for and then receiving my first infusion (via 'drip') of Infliximab, the latest drug regime for my psoriatic arthritis.

Reading the description of this medication developed from a 'mouse antibody' (for the curious: see full details below) this seems – regardless of whether of not it helps my condition – probably the ultimate 'collectible' for a Disney fan!!

The side-effects, of course, are obvious...


Mind you, if the rest of the body looked that buff, I might not complain...

"Infliximab is an artificial antibody. It was originally developed in mice as a mouse antibody. Because humans have immune reactions to mouse proteins, the mouse common domains were replaced with similar human antibody domains. Because the antibodies were produced from one cell grown into a clone of identical cells, it is called a monoclonal antibody."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mum and I hope that the new drug really, really helps. Much love. (RGP)

Anonymous said...

Best of luck dear friend!
mg

SharonM said...

I do that this new regime does the trick, without any unpleasant side effects - especially not a high-pitched squeaky voice!

Boll Weavil said...

hope all goes well

Boll Weavil said...

hope all goes well