Monday 27 September 2010

SOMETHING ABOUT ALWAYS

Tonight at 10:00 pm, BBC Radio 2 will be broadcasting the fourth programme in my eight-part documentary series celebrating The Musical. Presented by Bill Kenwright, 'Pushing the Boundaries' will focus on shows that challenged what was and was not suitable subject matter for a musical.

Victor Spinetti reminisces about Joan Littlewood and her controversial production of Oh, What A Lovely War, Elaine Paige and Paul Nicholas recall being part of the first British 'tribe' of Hair, while composer Jerry Herman and others discuss his groundbreaking musical centered on a gay relationship, La Cage Aux Folles...



That's tonight on Radio 2 and, afterwards, for the next seven days on BBC iPlayer.

4 comments:

Snow White Archive said...

Two thumbs up. I dig musicals...especially those that are set within stories that you wouldn't immediately think were musically inclined.

Brian Sibley said...

Exactly! :)

Chuck Munson said...

Brian,

I just listened to this tonight and it was brilliant. I do enjoy the musical theater, but I have to confess that my knowledge of the *background* of most musicals is sketchy at best. Very enlightening. I am only disappointed that I cannot hear the previous episodes..

Brian Sibley said...

Thanks, Chuck! Sorry you've missed a few, but there's still another four episodes to go! :)