Saturday 31 January 2009

MY WORDLE!

Have you WORDLED yet?

Yes, it's another diversion and digression from getting on with the boring daily round of chores and I was introduced to it by my good friend, Polkadotsoph who has - so far - afforded me several hours of enjoyably entertainment and cost me the equivalent in never to be recovered life!!

WORDLE, for those as yet unaware, is a computer tool -- actually, to be fair, they call it a toy and that's about the truth of it! -- that allows you to create "word clouds" from text which you select and are able to imaginatively arrange in a variety of fonts, styles and colours...

Here are a few of my early efforts...

Firstly, an arrangement of words associated with Venice...

Click on images to enlarge

Then a randomised selection of words pulled by Wordle from recent postings on my blog...


And lastly, on the day on which I'm in Oxford attending a dinner at Lewis Carroll's academic home, Christ Church, here's my Wordle-generated impression of his most famous book...


To start Wordling, click here.

Images created by Brian Sibley using >Wordle, 2009.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

told you it was fun...

Anonymous said...

I don't believe it! and I mean that in the VictormeldrewEST possible way!
Whatever happened to doodling and twiddling your thumbs?

Brian Sibley said...

POLKADOTSOPH - You did and it is!

SUZANNE - Well this is a kind of doodling and I find it quite relaxing - even (slightly) inspirational --- unlike, say, Facebook!

Anonymous said...

You obviously haven't checked out your friends' lists of "25 random things" on Facebook lately. ;)

Brian Sibley said...

Obviously...

If I'd have been spending my time replying to pokes and invitations and requests to become Friends I wouldn't have had any time for Wordling!

Phil said...

I beat you to it by a couple of weeks. I made a Ray Bradbury one, feeding in the titles of all his short stories (and then adding his name about 35 times to make it come out more prominently than anything else). My masterpiece is here:
http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/433428/Ray_Bradbury

I just wish Wordle would show punctuation, as no tribute to Bradbury is complete without the odd "!".

- Phil

Brian Sibley said...

That's spooky, PHIL, because I've been playing with a Wordle on Ray's book titles but haven't yet reached a point where I'm happy with it... But I like yours - especially as it's in skeletal black-and-white!

Here's a quick link for other readers: Bradbury wordle.